Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Iggy and the Stooges - 1970's observations

ROCK AND ROLL MOMENT

Doing research, I came across pixcetera.com and found some great retro pictures by Michael Ochs of Iggy and the Stooges, revelent because of the passing of Ron Asheton, band member.

I knew Iggy was genius in '73/'74 Ann Arbor. Seger didn't get it. Non of the Ann Arbor hierarchy did. It was a great moment - the Primo Showbar All Star Show with all the A2/Detroit music kings. I'll never forget seeing Iggy for the first time; I looked over at him, not knowing anything about them, and thought 'who the hell does he think he is?' Then I concentrated my gaze and checked out the silver cowboy boots, beat jeans, the face, the hair... It wasn't easy standing out in Ann Arbor in the early 1970's, believe me - everyone was trying - hard. After studying him further I realized - "what ever he is trying to be - he IS IT!" He was unique. He wailed at one show and all the biggies also preforming shrunk away. Shaking their heads. I was totally intrigued. He was a stage presence and the level of excitement and life force was total and electrifying. Seger was a cutie, pretty boy face with that deep rusty voice and the fame - he just didn't have the amazement of Iggy. No one did. Retro pictures from back then jogs my memories better [when it comes to Iggy whose looks have changed somewhat]. :) What a crush I had on Iggy's drummer! He had a big platinum streak in his pompadour. Hot.

I have pleasant thoughts of Ron though I don't remember much due to my [past] '70's lifestyle. My blessings to your family. Rest in Peace Ron. Thanks for adding to rock and roll history.

Kim - the errant Primo girl.

2 comments:

Your driver said...

Hi Kimmie, I posted a link to this over at my blog. Does this mean you're going to start on your long overdue autobiography? I'll buy it.

Kim DiJulio said...

Actually I do remember Ron; he had some talks with me when I was down and having obvious troubles. He outwardly seemed aloof and I was afraid of his wise cracks but when he confided in me, explaining that Ann Arbor was full of showy pomp and ceremony & [actually] it was full of crap. With his guard down he was really intelligent, warm, observant & caring. He bolstered my resolve, made me a bit stronger, made me feel more unique in a town full of showy peacocks and I moved on.
Kim